Monday 2 February 2015

A very special boy called Yoda

I`ve hesitated as to whether I tell this story or not, second day of blogging and a heart wrenching story but I promised my bloggs would be real and straight from the heart. So here goes....

On the 15th October 2013 I got asked to help 7 kittens and a mum and dad, all had been living under decking in Birkenhead and were under threat of being poisoned. Another rescue was due to take them but as each one was caught it was apparent they had cat flu. We have an isolated room in the garden, that was heated and furnished to be a room to sit in and watch the geese, chickens and pigs, although I can't recall ever sitting in there to relax. 

So the Birkenheads arrived, nothing could have prepared us for the work involved. All feral, feral to the point of a finger of a gauntlet being ripped off. 3 hours a day of catching these, cleaning eyes, medicating and feeding and of course barrier nursing as didn't want anything passing over to the others.




We initially were fostering for another rescue but when requesting food and medication became a problem, they were instantly placed with, in my absolute honest opinion another, although unsuitable, Fosterer. Eventually after fighting tooth and nail we got them back with us.


Each went on to find forever homes, bah 3 very close brothers, Marty, Frank and Yoda. Although Yoda wasn't one of the worst sufferers initially, it was apparent his health wasn't great as the weeks went on.
Who would want 3 brothers, feral and especially with one of them having a suppressed immune system.



There was only one thing for it, they must stay. So the first ever deluxe cat pen was built by my partner. I must admit to having doubts about his capability in building this, especially after we had ordered all the wood and I caught him with a block of wood in each hand and literally stood there for 10 minutes staring blankly.





I needn't have worried, after a shaky start the Birkenheads Head Cat Pen was erected and my, how Deluxe it was!











Equipped with his new found confidence he then went on to build bunk beds so that I could drape blankets over the top and make them snug dens for the winter, not forgetting the microwaveable hot water bottles that stay warm for 8 hrs.






I was so happy, the brothers got to stay together and I would be on hand to nurse Yoda as and when he needed it.
Gradually over time the Birkenhead Brothers allowed me to stroke and Marty even enjoyed the odd cuddle. Frank was always wary but soon grew to realise I was not to be feared and I always visited with mouthwatering delights. 






Yoda was special, he had this look, a look that can only be described as being able to see right into my soul.


I knew this was another decision(  made completely with my heart) the right one,   to keep him and his brothers. There closeness never wavered once. 


Sadly last year I lost one of my precious dogs due to a short illness, she, because of her badly abused past, was unable to mix with my others, so lived in the conservatory, she was able to walk daily with the others, just not share her living space. Over the following weeks after Lokis death we gradually got visited by the Birkenheads, till eventually all 3 started sleeping in the utility and conservatory. It got to the point were we no longer fed them in their pen, no, now we fed in the utility room.
I was so pleased, it meant they were warmer and I could be much more attentive to Yodas needs. 
Marty and Frank always seemed well but Yoda always looked old before his time, I always new he possibly wouldn't make it into old age, I certainly never predicted his departure would be so sudden.

1st February 2014 started as a great day, spent most of the day setting up this blog, the strangest thing happened, Yoda came in and sat right next to me,which was unusual as the television was on, none of the brothers accepted the television, huge box with noises coming out of it. This day was different, after he sat for a few minutes he decided to jump on my knee, I couldn't believe it, neither could Yoda because seconds later he jumped off but nonetheless a very moving moment and although I didn't realise it at the time, a memory etched in my mind forever.
Later that evening I came downstairs and went into the utility room and Yoda, who had now become a real home bird wasn't there, I didn't have time to be concerned as seconds later the cat flap went and in he ran, he normally, instantaneously jumped up in the worktop to eat, he didn't, instead he went into the conservatory and led down, with laboured breathing. I have to say I go to pieces in situations like this, I seriously want to run off and hide, instead I shouted for John. At this point Yoda managed to turn himself around and fresh blood flowed from his mouth. John asked me to stay there whilst he went to get the carrier to get him to the emergency vets. I knelt down and gently stroked his head, telling him I was there and it was ok. John took him to the emergency vets but he sadly died on the way.


The saddest thing about loving animals is they don't live long enough, you accept that they are inevitably going to die before you but certainly not at such a tender age. I was robbed and this made me angry, I'm not a person that goes to church but I do live my life with the belief that you treat others as you would expect to be treated yourself and be kind, especially to the voiceless. 
Why would this " greater being " give me something, so precious and vulnerable, have me nurture and cherish it, for him to then steal him away so abruptly. 
There wasn't a mark on Yodas body, he had never been seen at the front near the road, not once, could he have ventured and been struck by a car? It was icy, did he fall? Was it foul play, poisoning? I needed this answering.


We took him to the vets and decided to have a post-mortem. After an agonising wait we have just got the results. Yoda had had a full post-Mortem, everything was in its rightful place but  his right lung was full of blood, all the way to his throat, indicating a burst artery, this could not have been prevented and has brought me immense comfort, believe me more comfort than you can imagine. It's suprising what you grab onto when in the deep realms of grief.  This morning I was thinking well if it was a car, he had freedom, if it was an accident,he had freedom, deep down you still have that underlying guilt of if he had been an indoor cat only, which incidentally, he would have hated, he would still be here . This however could not have been prevented and eases my mind so much. Yoda was a precious gift, who's  time was sadly to be limited. He had to be a special home, one that saw his loving owner put a blanket in the drier, just to warm it up before placing it over him before bedtime. An owner that only fed him the best, his favourite was As Good As It Looks and I use to hide a secret stash so that at the end of every month when our money is a little tighter, Yoda still got his favourite food. An owner that would soak cotton pads in warm water and bathe his eyes and make sure his nose was kept clean. Now I don't feel robbed I feel blessed, blessed to have had this very special boy in my life, even though it was to be for a short time. 

His legacy will live on in his brothers, Marty and Frank and I will cherish them for however long is needed.

God Bless you Yoda, till we meet again X X X











No comments:

Post a Comment